DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Hell Fire... It's Ghost Rider


"Um, excuse me mate, I think your head is on fire!"

One of my earliest memories is of having a flaming 'demon headed' motorbike riding Ghost Rider model... Which is a little odd when you consider that I was brought up in strict Christian home - but hey... So it is fair to say that I'm more than a little interested to see how the new film starring Nic Cage as Ghost Rider / Johnny Blaze will turn out next year - and this first look at the rider himself does look pretty cool!
If you don't know much about Ghost Rider he's some background - he first appeared in Marvel Spotlight #5 in 1972. Ghost Rider was created when stunt biker Johnny Blaze made a pact with the devil to save a friend's life (as you do). The devil obviously isn't the type to be trusted and he screws Johnny over but makes him complete his side of the bargain and merges his soul with Zarathos, who's an angry demon, which most would consider to be a bad thing...
Anyway - this new fusion allowed Johnny to become a hellfire-charged, flaming skulled Ghost Rider who had the ability to morph his motorbike out of hellfire, and shoot blasts of hellfire which burned only the soul of the target. He rode across the country, seeking vengeance for murdered innocents by night, while living as Blaze during the day.
And if you really want to know - the demon was finally trapped in a Soul Crystal with another villain named Centurious which freed Johnny Blaze to ride off into the sunset....

No comments: