DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Darkmatters Review: Killers


Killers (12a)

Dir. Robert Luketic

Reviewed by Matt Adcock

You see that guy? He’s my neighbour, you know the type, the one who always nods to you as you leave for work? He seems like a friendly sort, often waving or giving a warm smile… What if I told you he was actually a planted ‘sleeper’ agent – placed into my life in order to kill me should I become a threat to the system?

I know that might sound a bit far fetched but then I guess I ought to tell you that I’m not just a film reviewer but actually a professional killer who is trying to ‘get out’ of the business and lead a more ‘normal’ life with my family…

It isn’t easy existing like this – anyone I know could be standing by, just waiting for the order to take me out. Would make a good plot for a film though!?

Killers is that film – my role’s character Spencer is played by the Ashton (still trading on his cute looks) Kutcher, he’s a contract killer, one of the best covert assassins operating for a shady US government dept. His dream of settling down in the suburbs appears to have come true when he meets the lovely and newly single Jen (Katherine Heigl) and the two promptly fall in love.

They make a hot couple notching up several years of married bliss (despite her meddling parents – her dad played brilliantly by Tom Selleck who hasn’t been this good since Magnum). Spencer believes he has successfully hidden his violent past but one day a note from his old boss puts him in danger and it catches up with him fast.
"who's cuter?"

Director Robert ‘The Ugly Truth’ Luketic doesn’t go for classic or cutting edge films – what he does deliver are likeable slabs of disposable fun. Killers is funny, a kind of ‘rom-gun-com’ in the vein of Mr & Mrs Smith and despite Cineworld Luton attendant Paul looking dubious when I checked in – I enjoyed it much more than I though I would.
Ashton is on good form here, he makes a likeable lead and surprisingly convincing action hero, he also rustles up some good chemistry with Heigl who adds another romantic comedy to her growing list.

2010 is serving up some good date movies which add action / violence to keep the alpha males happy. Good times.

UNSEEN DELETED SCENE:

Kutcher and Heigl cross paths with Pitt and Jolie from Mr & Mrs Smith and have to fight to the death with automatic weaponry...


Darkmatters rating: ööööööö (7 lite rom-com shootouts out of 10)

Darkmatters quick reference guide: Action 8 / Style 6 / Babes 8 / Comedy 7 / Horror 4 / Spiritual Enlightenment 2


Check out another 'less positive' review here (MOVIE CYNICS)



1 comment:

ipad case said...

actually me and my family are dying to see this . looks pretty funny